Below article is quoted from 24th May 2011 The Straits Times
A spokesman said it is currently conducting a trial to study the 'different aspects of using LED technology such as energy consumption, durability and maintenance challenges'. LED lights - sponsored by electronics groups Philips and Samsung - were installed on 17 existing lamp posts in Northumberland Road and Tekka Lane in Little India last year . LED lamps can also cost 60 per cent to 80 per cent more than conventional ones but are said to last at least twice as long. If the trial is successful, industry watchers said the prospects are bright for Singapore. It could save $10 million a year if its 96,000 street lamps are converted to LED types.
Last May, Jurong Town Council became the first big-scale LED convert here. It announced that it would change all 95,000 fluorescent light tubes in corridors, staircases and void decks in Housing Board blocks. It expects to save up to $1.1 million a year in electricity bills.
Article quoted from: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_672018.html
Points of Discussion
1. The basis for LED lighting is to lower cost by lowering the input electricity.
2. People will not be talking about it if the benefits are not known.
3. The hold back is whether it is as good as it claims and the safety level of the appliance.
4. With proper lighting fixtures, it may be possible to solve the safety issue.
5. LED Lighting Singapore project, a greener cause for a better cost ! Would love to have you on the bandwagon.