LED Lightings are developing rapidly in terms of reliability, brightness and costs. LED lights on streets certainly gives a stronger testament to the safety factor.
For the article below, we summarised some listed considerations;
1. Energy reduction leading to lower carbon emission
2. Lower maintenance cost
3. No or insignificant uplight hence reducing light pollution
4. Using reflector optics and LED arrangements to minimise glare
Source - http://ledsmagazine.com/news/10/9/3
1. Multiplier savings effect; by lowering areas of high energy consumption, a city can allow existing infrastructure to be sustainable for a longer period while developments/enhancements are being carried out for future demands. The reduction in electricity by the user leads to a reduction in production costs by the plant. The entire supply chain can benefit with lower costs and prices.
2. There is a 'minimum cost to quality' to everything. With cheap LEDs lights flooding the market, many users may be disappointed on how fast some died on them. There is a certain cost involve to produce a LED light fixture with rubycon or meanwell driver and TSMC or even Cree LED chipset as to using unknown brands which have yet to prove its competence in heat control and reliability.
3. Being an electronic device with low current requirements, LEDs can integrate conveniently in our highly I.T savvy society leading to a better standard of living (e.g. using handphones as remote control for TVs, computers and lights while seated on a sofa). LED lightings in Singapore and other technologically advance society will gain the most.
The future of LED lighting will certainly be brighter for you and your family with the increasing integration to home interactive systems.